Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Reminiscences of a Fallen Angel; Part 3.

"Hey sister, go sister! Better get that dough sister!," my little sister sang happily as she skipped into the living room. I lived in a house of solitude, when my papa's around. No eating chicken nuggets, no screaming in the house, no this, no that. When he's off to work, the house comes to life, breaking into song and dance, greeting every song note and dance step as if if they were long lost lovers.

Aurora Jean is the talented younger sister of mine. At 4, papa bought her her very first keyboard. I, on the other hand, did not get a thing. I was feeling extremely sore from that, of course.

Being the eldest in the family has its pros and cons. Pro number 1. I get to watch movies that my parents watched on cable, especially the ones with making out scenes in them. My sister couldn't. Due to her age, at that time. "Haha! Too bad you can't watch it, brat. You know you're much too young. Maybe when you turn 12, you could. In the meantime, why don't you go play with your Barbie Dolls?," I mocked. "You just wait until I turn 12! I'll get to watch those movies with mama and papa! Who needs those dumb movies with yucky kissing in it? I just want to play! I just want to play..."

By the age of 12, she could play every piano song she heard by ear.

You could say in some points of my younger childhood days, I was overshadowed by Aurora's achievements. Con number 1. Competition. I was very competitive. Whatever Aurora did, I would match up to her. Or perform even better. This made Aurora very furious.

Knowing that I could actually keep up with her drove her to the point where she forced one of her school teachers to book her a space in her school auditorium so that she can hold her very own concert. Play. Play, play, and she played.

A concert at age 12. Me? 16. Okay, I thought I was already getting to old for the whole competition thing. We even fought to get our parent's affection. By then, I had better things to do in life. Like just running track. Such eager puppies we were. Eager puppies always aim to please.

Childish, I know.
-

No comments:

Post a Comment